b&w photography in Antibes

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

June 7th, 2006

Blog your b&w photographer Sigi W SCHULZ

After working 30 years as an architect in Paris, Sigi W. SCHULZ decided to realize his second profession to his first. Up to now his photographic topics are more combined with architectural aspects (Rome, Paris, New York and Berlin), but he did not want to stick with any rules as an so-called “photographer of architecture”, and changed his mind more to human aspects. Finally the documentation and report of “the German doctors” gave him the best relevant possibility to follow the right way.

Sigi W. SCHULZ was born in 1949 in Ansbach/Bavaria. At the age of 7 he got his first “Adox 6×6″. First photo laboratory experiences during the grammar school time followed. In 1977, after studying, he began to work as an architect in Paris. parallel to his national and international projects, he took photographs around Africa, Germany, Paris, Moscow and U.S.A.; first photo reports were created since 2000. Photography is now his first main activity.

Artsigi

ArtExpo


exhibitions

2000 july - september: maison robert doisneau, gentilly/paris: “cercle photo de gentilly” (group show)
2001 march - april: centre culturel gentilly: “zig zag” (group show)
2001 may: bibliotheque pablo-neruda, malakoff/paris: “artistes pour la paix” / künstler für den frieden (group show)
2001 may: rathaus malakoff: “etendards pour san san nweeh”, ausstellung und versteigerung für “reporter ohne grenzen” (group show)
2002 march - april: centre culturel gentilly/paris: “zig zag” (group show)
2002 may - june: bibliotheque pablo-neruda, malakoff/paris: “artistes pour la paix” / künstler für den frieden (group show)
2002 november: bibliotheque pablo-neruda, malakoff/paris: “rom”
2003 january - february: rathaus gentilly/paris “art’mosph`eres” (group show)
2003 april - may: salon d’art contemporain, montrouge/paris “saigon flou”
2003 may: bibliotheque pablo-neruda, malakoff/paris: “artistes pour la paix” / künstler für den frieden (group show)
2003 may: centre culturel gentilly/paris: “zig zag” and “paris metro”(group show)
2003 august: ‘amandier, chatenay-malabry/paris “metro”
2003 october: salon d’art contemporain, paris, thiais “paris metro”, 1. preis sektion foto (group show)
2004 march - may: stadt- und bergbaumuseum, freiberg-thüringen/germany: “das sehen von aussen” (group show)
2004 march-may: ärztekammer salzburg/austria: “german doctors” of calcutta
2004 october: syndicat d’initiative, choise-le-roy, paris: “structures, architectures, reportages”
2004 december: maison robert doisneau, gentilly/paris: “le regard de l’exterérieur” (group show)
2005 august - october: goethe institut mannheim-heidelberg/germany: “german doctors” of calcutta
2006 may - july: galerie “autour de l’art” antibes/france

Q. You have exhibited widely in Europe. Whch is your most popular subject, and why?

A. Although my former professional job was as an architect; most people know me through my ‘geometric’ composition in my photographs. I do not take photos of buildings anymore these days; but I find my lens still lead me to compose my photographs in a pseudo-architecural way. I like taking candid photos in the metro of Paris. I like this photo because of the ‘tenderness’ captured in the moment.

Artsigi020

Q. Do you think that even when we are living in a modern integrated Europe; there are vast regional preferences in photography?

A. It’s easy to dwell on the regional preferences like that you’ll find in cuisine. However, generally speaking; each region presents its own story to tell the viewers. I just use my camera to present what I find during my travel and I let the photos speak their stories. However, I must confess that I do like to select my subject based upon my own preference first. This is the prerogative of the author.

Artsigi004

Q. Who are your main influences in b & w photography?

A. I have many many photographers whom I regard as ‘great’; people like Cartier-BRESSON & DOISNEAU etc; but I also like to create my own influence based upon my training as a professional architect. In fact, it’s more of a choice I seek in technique than style in my photos. I hope my viewers will appreciate the symmetry found in my subjects being captured in a frame. I quite like an organised way of existence rather than playing by chance.

Artsigi006

Q. Apart from showing your current work of the Paris “Metro” at “Autour-de-l’art” in Antibes, where else can we go to see your other work?

A. I travel around Europe a lot on different assignments. However, people could also reach me and my work at the following website:-

www.rallefotoagentur.de/fotografen_schulz.html

Artsigi022

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home